Saturday, October 18, 2008

"Can I Get A What! What!"

I don't think that I have ever given a movie review on here before...but I saw one tonight that I loved so much that I had to share with you all. Lindsay and I decided to go see a flick and were deciding between two and came to the decision to see "The Secret Life of Bees" (erin please don't judge me if movies aren't suppose to be " "...I can never remember what is suppose to be underlined or " "...I think I was absent that day...) Anyway. Lindsay had read the book...I had not...typical...but I had heard so many people talk about how good the book was and of course I saw the whole cast on the Big "O" so I was really anticipating its debut. I can whole-heartily say that I give this movie two thumbs, 10 toes, and one heads up. There are few movies now that I go to and leave with complete satisfaction and this one did it for me. I know I know...I'm really setting the expectation really high for you...I don't know if it's because I haven't been to a movie in like 2 weeks(long for me:)) or if I was just in a particularly accepting mood but it was superb. It's been awhile since we have seen Miss Dakota Fanning and I will be honest in saying that I was worried for her. Three Words. Haley Joel Osment. Let's just say that you can lose your cute factor and subsequently your edge when you enter into those awkward teen years after being such a successful child actor. BUT she pulled through amazingly and did an outstanding job...there is one scene where she kind of loses it and I'll be honest I did too. The "Queen" was yet again surprisingly good...I think I just can't shake her former days of "In Living Color", so every time she plays a really good role I walk away perplexed and astonished...which I guess for her is a good thing. Now the one that I was real nervous for was Alicia Keys, I get reeeeaaal nervous for musicians that decide to go all Hollywood on you...it's like stick to what you do well...but she also did a great job along with her singin' buddy Jennifer Hudson. But for me the one that stole the whole show was Sophie Okonedo(Hotel Rwanda)...even as I type this when I think about her character it makes me want to start crying...she did amazingly. Genius.


I don't want to ruin the story line for anyone if they have not read the book or heard anything about it...but it is just one of those stories that challenges you to love deeper and to really be grateful for the treasures in your life...the people...


So...if you are looking for a good movie...go...guys will like it too....oh. and it has a great soundtrack...that's always a plus in my book. Bring Tissue!

9 comments:

Whit said...

Poor Haley Joel...but good for Dakota! I don't that even Roger Ebert himself gave ten toes up, and admire the way you are being a pioneer in this matter. Here's to more movie reviews!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

I want to see this SOOOOO bad! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the book and I always get a little nervous when they turn fabulous books into movies in case they don't live up to the expectation, you know? SO I'm glad to hear the movie is great too!

Haley said...

Your Haley Joel Osment comment made me laugh out loud. Then Eva said, "Mommy, why you laughin?" Then that made me laugh again....ANYWAY. I totally want to go see this movie now. I enjoyed the movie review... I see a career in your future. :)

erin said...

I adore this book, so I was wondering how the movie would be. I'm always wary of books-turned-films, but I usually end up seeing them anyway, knowing that I'll probably like the book better but still enjoy the movie. Did Lindsay think the film lived up to the book?

Oh, and despite my being a member of a facebook group called, "I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar," my friends get a free pass. :) But as a bonus for you, movie titles, plays, magazines, journals, and books require underlining or italicizing according to MLA style, BUT AP style, which most online publications follow, uses quotation marks, so you're in the clear.

Thus concludes today's grammar lesson. :)

Anonymous said...

Though I'll always love any book version more, I definitely think the movie lived up to the book. It was done really well and the cast was great.

On another note, Sarah I was proud of you for not leaning over and shhing the lady beside me who kept crinkling her popcorn bag. I know that took a lot of self control.

Sarah said...

...you don't even know.

Jill said...

Interesting...I hadn't even heard of it. I guess that's what I get for DVR'g everything...I miss out on all the commercials! I will have to check it out!

Okay, and LOL that you shh'd someone in the theater. You seriously crack me up.

here comes moses said...

yeah! Katie and Ruby's Song is in that movie!! can't wait to see it! loved the book.

Anonymous said...

Saw it last night! Amazing! LOVED IT!!!