Friday, June 13, 2008

Confession.

I love music. I love listening to it. Singing with it. Playing it. For as long as I can remember music as been a huge part of my life. When I was 8 years old I would listen to "Africa" by Toto over and over. I told my mom that I was going to walk down the aisle to "Love of a Lifetime" by Firehouse. Gosh. I still love that song. I have a very musical family. My mom was a piano performance/education major in college while she played the piano and organ at her church(at the same time...kidding.). She also taught piano on the side. When we moved to Memphis when I was in Kindergarten she became an elementary music teacher(she taught some of you out there!) and did this for 16 years. My brother and I were extremely involved in all things music growing up. Voice and piano lessons, church choirs and ensembles(oh Gentle Breeze), All-State, All-West...Mr. Riddick(help us all). My aunt and my grandmother both sing as well. My aunt and I have a rendition of "In the Garden" that would put the Gaithers to shame(it's real ridiculous). Now Christopher is a worship leader in Ohio. I have carried my music on as well...I help lead worship at my church here in Nashville and of course still continue to sing whenever the water is running(when I was little I sang whenever the water was running and Christopher did while the vacuum was on. we're weird. I know). So. with all this music background I can sometimes be a little bit of a music snob. Now now before you go and start judging me take notice of what the title of this post is...I'm getting to something...


Now when I say I have music snobiness you would naturally think.... Oh okay you listen to people who are trained vocally and sing "correctly". Negative. I mean I appreciate that style of singing and definitely sang my share of it in college but that's not what I am talking about. I have found that my snobiness stems from something actually opposite from that. It's not soley the musical talent that really defines for me whether or not I like them. Example. I went to see Nick Lachey in concert. I think his album was really good. Lots of great songs. Great songs because we got to see the heart that was broken by little Miss Jessica. But talent? Hmm. How do I say this. While watching him at his concert I felt as though I was watching a good ol' boy performing for his first time at a high school talent show. A little awkward. But would I go again? Absolutely. Now on the other side of the spectrum. Patty. Or as some call her Patty Griffin. Love her. Whit introduced me to her a little over 2 years ago. She was actually playing over the speakers on our first date.:) I said, "Who is this?!!" He said, Patty Griffin, you don't know her?? He then burned me all her albums. We saw her perform at the Ryman and I have to say it was one of the best shows I have ever been to. Why you ask? She is completely vulnerable and open in her writing. When she sings you feel as though you are sitting down with her at coffee, just you and her. Plus her voice...it cuts right to the core. I love artists for what they bring to the table....their stories. I have to relate to them in some way. If I can't relate to them or see their heart through their lives or music its just words and notes.


Anybody that spends time with me knows of one artist that I have vocally said I do not like. Multiple times. If she is performing on an awards show that I am watching I also might say mean things about her while she performs. I know! I'm horrible!! Honesty people! Well, this is where my confession comes. Yesterday I just had this feeling come over me while at work to support her. I had just finished reading an article about her. So I went on itunes and downloaded her newest album. I labeled it "My Hypocrite Playlist". So I am now a Carrie Underwood listener. Now. Listen. I didn't say fan. I said listener. Baby steps. I think what had turned me off about her is that I couldn't figure out who she was when she was in front of people. It's almost like she doesn't want people to see who she really is. She stiff arms the media. So I was turned off. Well in effort to not stiff arm as well I say, "Bring it Underwood".


8 comments:

Whit said...

It was the Impossible Dream records, "The Rowing Song," specifically when conversation stopped and you asked who it was. Best cup of coffee, ever!

I must admit, you have more noble reasons for listening to an artist than I do. I tend to shun music for terribly shallow reasons that don't begin to touch the heart of the artist. You continue to broaden my pop horizons!

Leslie said...

This post was purely Sarah Moseley through and through...and I loved it! You always give me new and exciting artist to check out. Plus we both love Celine, which means I will forever take your music advice to heart!

Anonymous said...

Jesus take the wheel...

Michael and Jana said...

How long has this blog been going on and why wasn't I told about it.

I am so happy I will at least get to see your face online. Now let's make it happen in the real world.

Jill said...

love it...and wow, that's a great picture of your new best friend!

erin said...

Ah, Gentle Breeze. I remember trying to come up with alternate names for that lovely ensemble, my favorite of which is "Mild Zephyr." Hehe.

I have a few of Carrie's songs on my iPod, but I can't get into her music completely. I feel like there's something kind of artificial about her. What in the article made you download her album?

Biz said...

Oh Patty. Yes, indeed. I was led to her when I moved to Boston where they love all things folk. I've become a folk junkie, I'm afraid. :) Rosie Thomas, Brandi Carlile and Jenee Halsted are some of my faves. Jenee sounds a lot like Patty.

ps - you're funny. :)

Haley said...

Traitor.