I give nicknames. It's what I do. I've done this since I was little. There are many people in my life that have these said nicknames but my family got the pleasure of having theirs changed many times. I can only think that me giving you a nickname is a sign of endearment.
My mom has probably had the most changes throughout the years. Although it has somewhat kept its core. It started out as Mumers(pronounced: Moo-mers)...im not quite sure where I got this name from...but it stuck around for most of junior high and on into high school. Try being my mom in Target and having your child look for you in the store yelling out.."Mumers! Mumers! Where are you!!?" You have to be sure of yourself. So as time moved on it changed (now don't judge me) to Mumsickle( Moom-sickle). I know. I know. Strange. BUT that stayed with us through the rest of high school and on into college. Which brings us to the last 3 or 4 years. As I have grown up I have decided to drop the "sickle" and now she is respectively Mums. I think this name will probably stay. Not only is she mums to me but she has many other hats that she wears as well. Steph to my Dad(whose nickname is Potter...like Harry). Mimi to Noah. And lastly Aunt Puddin...story for another day.:)
As many of you know my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer this year and has been going through the process of ridding the cancer from her body. She just recently completed her chemo(WOOHOO!!) and just yesterday I was able to be at the hospital while she had a mastectomy and also had some lymph nodes removed as well. If this process is a marathon she is now starting on the last leg. She will now have 6 weeks of radiation. She has been a trooper through this whole process and her spirits have remained high. She is really excited that her hair will begin to start growing back now and she can get rid of all her hats and scarves(which looked really cute on her by the way...she really could pull off the scarf). We will have a HUGE celebration once everything is completed!!
Mums and Potter
Mums and Me with the quilt I made for her.
Friends and family each sent in a square that they thought best represented my mom.

The last day of Chemo!!! Woohoo!!
We are so proud of you Mums, Mom, Mimi, Steph, Puddin...
11 comments:
What a great tribute to a strong and courageous woman! I can feel the tears a-coming...Now, are you going to fill everyone in on the progression of Potter?
no:)
I love this post about your mom! What a trooper she is! Plus she really looks adorable in all the hats/scarfs. ;)
You are so right! We are so very proud of Mom and the strength that she has shown. And like you said, a HUGE party will be in order will this is all over!
Aw, I wanna hear about Potter! :) This is a fabulous post, and I know your mom will be so touched by it.
we shall start planning the parTAY now!!!
I love this. It's so exciting that she's on the last leg.
And from here on out I will try not to complain about my nickname. :)
Yay! This is so great.
(I think Lindsay deserves a post all about her nickname. Let's share that one with the world.)
um, how did i get let out of the loop that you're actually blogging now?!?! i feel like i've been waiting for this day for three years. :) it makes me happy!
i loved your post. what a ride you're family is on... its amazing to see how God is using this season to reconcile and heal relationships while making them stronger - he is so good!
you know, as much as you like nicknames you've never used one for me.. should i be hurt? ;)
love you, saysay!
Sarah, I know you don't know me but Whit's dad is my SS teacher. We have been praying for your mom for so many months now. I am glad chemo is over and I hope she recovers well from the mastectomy. I helped my Gma through her mastectomy two years ago too. I hope to meet you some day. Come visit us at church, we are the ones that have 5 kids and Janice is one of my favoritest peple in the whole world.
Stop by our family blog at www.homeschoolblogger.com/brown
Christine
Sarah - I am just now catching up on your blog - didn't realize you were contributing so much so fast!! Thank you for this post - as Whit said - I can feel the tears a coming . . . I have always loved all the names you've given me - I mean ANYBODY can be called MOM but how many do you know that get the name Moomsickle??? As you said - the nicknames were given with love and so much the better. I love you Say!! Mums
Post a Comment