Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hoprah

Ohhhhh Oprah. Or as some like to call her...Hoprah. Bringing Hope to the masses. As many Americans I enjoy a little Oprah every now and then. I actually have her set on my DVR to tape everyday...seeing that I am at work when she comes on...I then check out the episode to see if it tickles my fancy to watch or not. We all love/don't love Oprah for many reasons...a few of them being: She was a lower class minority that had a dream to become something more than the cards that she had been dealt and so she worked hard...we like to see people succeed like this...it makes our hearts happy. She talks about issues that are sometimes pushed under the rug...gives a voice to the voiceless...gives a home to the homeless...gives a car...well to those who already have cars.:) She shows us what is "it" right now...from the latest gadget to the best jeans for your body...to the most delicious cupcake you will ever eat. My personal number one reason that I love Oprah is because she has brought Dr. Oz into my life. I love Mehmet. He has explained the body like no one I have ever listened to. I know more about my small intestine than I would really like to admit. I have bought and read all his books and literally get giddy when I see he is going to be on. Love. Now the dislikes. Hmmm. Can we just say she has gotten a little strange the past year or so. I mean I know its shown itself throughout the years but I think it really reached its pinnacle with Ol' Tolle.

Just recently I was doing some cleaning so I turned on a few of the oldies on my DVR. There were a couple that I hadn't seen so I had them playing in the background while I organized(a favorite past time:)). This one particular episode was on "Creating your Destiny"...there were three ladies on the show that all contribute monthly to "O"(which can we have a honest moment...does she need to be on EVERY cover of her magazine...). Basically the idea that Oprah and pals were trying to communicate is that there is this "law of attraction"(stay with me)...that if you focus on the things that you desire you will get them eventually. There is catch though...if you ask out of desperation you will not get it...because you are putting out negative energy...and the universe knows you are desperate...so basically you are out of luck. It is all about centering in on what you want and "visualizing" it. SO. They said that you need to make a "vision board". Literally this is a poster board where you clip out magazine pictures and phrases and words of things that you want or desire and you glue it to this board...then you put this board in a place where you can see it daily and soon you will gradually notice that the things that you desire will start appearing in your life(remember if your not desperate). So as I was sorting through the socks I gradually found myself standing in front of the t.v watching in awe of this information with a face that would be best described as...."Whhhaaaa???". The thought that kept going through my mind was, "So, what your saying is you want us to have goals." Because that's what this looks like to me. It looks like a reminder board to me. Remember you would like a new refrigerator...so don't spend money on that shirt. Remember you want to go to Hawaii...call that guy you met that is a travel agent.

I know I told you earlier that I have a list of "things" I would like to do, experience, try...etc. I created this list a while back and as I think of new ones I just keep adding. Now everyone does this in a different way...but I have found that if I write them down I remember them better....thus when someone says..."Hey, I'm going to be teaching tennis if you want to try it out!" I can remember....OH! That is something that I have wanted to do!" I do not however think that by writing these words down on a piece of paper they have now been sent out into the universe and I need to start keeping my eyes open for when the universe starts throwing them back at me. It's just a way that I have found allows me to dream for myself. This concept that they have taken and made much more difficult and strange is...make goals for yourself. Have things that you desire...if you want a puppy...then save money for one and then go get one...don't cut out a picture of him and then wait for the "universe"(whoever the heck that is) to bring you one. If you want to be a teacher...start looking into some classes. A poster board does not have spiritual powers...neither does the fact that you are looking at it everyday.

I say, "Dream Big!" There is not much more that I love than seeing people dream big in their life...it makes my heart want to burst. We serve a HUGE God...that accepts us desperate or not. He knows that at times we are desperate for love. desperate for acceptance. desperate for healing...which in return makes us desperate for Him...He is smart that way. He also gives us desires that range anywhere from learning to play the banjo, running a marathon, to serving orphans...just don't look for poster boards...aka Oprah... to give you your answers.:)


6 comments:

Whit said...

it is a testament to the human condition when we so desperate seek to give our spiritual lives meaning. think of the millions people spend on books and cds to mediate to, hoping for the "universe" to reveal its secrets. thank you for speaking truth and see this movement for what it is.

and as for oprah, it just goes to show that if you have enough money, you can pay other people to be good for you.

erin said...

I can't even watch Oprah because it just makes me mad and sad (or "smad" as Sookie calls it). But this post is amazing. I love that last paragraph; God, if nothing else, meets us when we are at our most desperate, when we have reached the end of ourselves. Take that "universe"! :)

Leslie said...

I wonder if I put it out there in the universe that I want an olive complextion and 5'5" if it would come back to me. I promise I wouldn't be desperate and I'll make a poster board like you've never seen. ;) I'm going to try that.

I don't think I've seen an episode of Oprah in a year. It's been nice.

Once again, excellent post friend!

Jill said...

Poor Oprah, I really want to watch at times, but she is really misguided...and I don't like watching it! If she would just stick with Dr. Oz episodes and an occassional fashion episode, I would change my mind! Good post!!!

Haley said...

Sara, I'm so right there with you. Oprah has such a magnetic personality which is why so many people (okay, let's have another honest moment it's just women) love her. But then she comes up with crap like that. Her theory of spirituality changes like the wind. I believe she has led many people astray with her "truth is what's true for you" hoopla.

Anyway, I am also a Dr. Oz fan. I only watch if he's on. :)

Biz said...

well said, sarah et al!
not sure i have anything to really add, but i too have been disenchanted with hoprah. her weekly webcast/meeting/gathering things for this weird book have just about topped the cake with wackiness. its too bad she's got such a huge following.
i will say, she's done amazing things for people around the world, but where's Jesus in it?!