Thursday, September 4, 2008

What's Love Got To Do With It.

A few weeks ago Whit and I were driving somewhere and he had a new cd playing in his car. Now this was odd because I usually have full control over the music while sitting in the passenger seat. (Okay. Those who know me well can stop laughing now.) I do have a control issue in this area. I can openly admit it. Whit and I like to play this little game where I pick out a cd and I say, "Don't Look!" "Seriously, Don't Look!", "You're Looking!". He says, "I promise! I'm Not Looking!". Then I pick a cd out....and he guesses which one I chose. Now when he gets it right....well of course he was looking. But sadly I usually choose the same three. He needs to switch his cd's out more....but I usually either choose....Andrew Peterson...Far Country(if you don't own this cd or know who Andrew Peterson is you need to stop whatever you are doing...well finish the blog....and then stop and go buy this cd. amazing.). John Mayer...Heavier Things, or this newer group called The War...there is no political agenda behind that name.:) SO. Long story short. This one particular day he was playing his selection and I asked who it was...He said...Andy Gullahorn. Who?! Andy Gullahorn. Oh. (Blank Stare) No clue who that is.

Well since that day I have bought his newest album on itunes. Its called Reinventing the Wheel. It's a little folky. You honestly feel like he is telling you a story in every song. Like you are getting chapters into different parts of his life. There are those who tell stories and you're not quite sure if its about them or someone close to them or even no one that they no at all...but with his songs there is no doubt that he is speaking truth about his life. There is one song that really stood out to me and has been on constant repeat in my car and at my desk while I work. It's called "That Guy". I tried to look it up on the playlist site to post it on here but it was not in their system. But if you go to
www.noisetrade.com you can purchase it for free...or of course you can download it on itunes. The lyrics of this song are extremely honest and convicting. Check it out...and then go listen to it.

THAT GUY
He scoped out the market
All the women and kids
With so many distractions
Nobody noticed him
Nobody noticed him

He had a jacket a size too big
A skullcap on his head
And a couple of homemade bombs
He duct taped them to his chest
He taped them to his chest

God loves that guy
God loves that guy

He followed his heart
To a co-worker’s bed
He could have salvaged his marriage with kids
But he chose to leave instead
He chose to leave

He thought it was love
But it was just a mirage
So he sits in his idling car
Parked in a closed garage
Inside a closed garage

God loves that guy
God loves that guy

Me on the other hand
I can write somebody off
Like the last check for a student loan
I can love when it’s convenient
But it’s not always convenient
It’s not always the easy road

I want to look past the outside to the well-meaning heart
To the good they forgot that they had
Teach me to love, teach me to love
Teach me to love like that

He messed up again
Wanted to disappear
But he can’t ‘cause he’s easy to find
I see him in the mirror
I see him in the mirror

God loves that guy
God loves that guy
Teach me to love, teach me to love
Teach me to love like that
Love like that


The past two weeks have been big for our country as we all sit around our tv's watching speech after speech. We listen to their thoughts...concerns....likes and dislikes. We all make decisions on how we view this candidate or that candidate....we watch the people in the crowd and either find someone who we resonate with or those we find harder to understand. If I can be honest I don't really like this time of year. I would honestly rather just get it over with. When the finger pointing starts I start to feel very uneasy. Conversations are had between friends, co-workers, families and lines are drawn in the sand. You can either side with me or you just might be wrong. We all are entitled to our own opinions... don't get me wrong. But I just don't know that it's as black and white as we would like it to be. But all that aside...while I have been watching these speeches the one thing that has been coming back to my mind is this song. God loves that guy. He is absolutely crazy about that guy. While we can sit and find fault after fault...and we can make remarks about his or her abilities or their true intentions...the same God that passionately pursued a relationship with me and marvels at my existence... loves every single person on that stage and in that crowd the exact same way...no matter what background...what party...what denomination...color...race...He loves them. Passionately loves them. That's the great mystery and wonder of Christ..that he loved while we were still sinners. There was nothing good in us. There is no wrong doing, mistake, or choice we choose to make that can change this truth. He whole-heartily loves us. No questions. No pre-requisite. We are called to the same.

May we choose love over the next two months.

5 comments:

Whit said...

Maybe I'm trying to expand your musical horizon's by not changing the CD's in my car...for the last 9 months...okay, maybe I need some new ones.

Things like politics are never black and white and I hate when the two parties act like they are. God gave us minds to think freely - thank you for this encouragement to lovingly do so.

Jenn M said...

What a great blog entry. God's love is so amazing and undeserved for all of us!

erin said...

This post is exactly why I am so glad you are blogging, Sarah! I hate this time of year, and I too just want it to be over, but I don't want to get so fed up with it all that I forget to love. Thanks for the reminder.

And now, I must ask you: can I be one of your peeps on the sidebar?? :)

Haley said...

What a wonderful reminder. Loved the words of that song. I was actually just thinking about that truth today. My brain doesn't wrap around it.

Melissa P. said...

well said and great reminders! i got this off of noisetrade a few weeks ago and have really, really enjoyed it...this song is one of my favorites. although did you listen to the one about how they watch gilmore girls dvds together? i loved it and know my husband could totally relate!